Mary Kom is a great girl: Holyfield
New Delhi: Five-time world champion and Olympic bronze-medallist Indian woman boxer M C Mary Kom has a new admirer in American legend Evander Holyfield, who says he follows her exploits and finds her achievements great.
"Yes, I follow her. She is a great girl. I find her very great because it is amazing how this young woman in India is doing boxing which is considered an American game. It`s great that she is doing well," the former `Undisputed World Champion` told PTI outside the Parliament while participating in pre-Christmas celebrations for an organisation.
Mary Kom, a Khel Ratna awardee, is currently taking a break from the ring after giving birth to her third child earlier this year.
The 30-year-old Manipuri was once described as `Magnificent Mary` by the International Boxing Association (AIBA).
Holyfield, a former professional star who won the 1984 Olympics` heavyweight bronze medal, does take interest in Indian boxing.
During the 2008 Beijing Olympics, he sat through the semifinal bout of Vijender Singh, who went on to become India`s first boxing medallist in the quadrennial extravaganza.
Asked if he would promote boxing in India, Holyfield said, "Nobody has asked me to do that but if somebody asks me, I will be happy to do it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Blast at Trinamool victory rally in West Bengal, nine injured
- Bihar Class 10th Result 2016, Bihar Matric Results 2016: (biharboard.bih.nic.in), BSEB 10th Result 2016 to be declared tomorrow on May 29
- Shahid Kapoor-Alia Bhatt's 'Udta Punjab' is not banned, tweets Anurag Kashyap!
- Check out: 6 beauteous beaches in Odisha you didn't know much about!
- IPL VIDEO: When 'livid' Praveen Kumar charged at Hyderabad skipper David Warner