Mary Kom to give Nationals a miss
Greater Noida: Olympic bronze-medallist M C Mary Kom will skip this year`s national women`s boxing championships as she wants some new names to take centrestage in the domestic arena.
Mary Kom`s last appearance in a National Championship was way back in 2008 in Agra when she clinched the 46kg category gold medal.
She missed the 2009 and 2010 editions since she was caring for her new born twins.
"I will not compete in the national championships this year because I want youngsters to come up," the five-time world champion said today on the sidelines of a press conference to announce the setting up of a Boxing Academy here.
The ninth senior national women`s boxing championships will start from Sunday in Guwahati.
The 29-year-old mother-of-two, who clinched the 51kg category bronze in the London Olympics, is game for a second Games` appearance in 2016.
"I have heard that the International Boxing Association might include the 48kg category in the 2016 editions. If that happens, it would be easier for me to participate," said the diminutive Manipuri, who was lone Indian in fray when women`s boxing made its Olympic debut in London.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday