Mary Kom to start training for Rio Olympics
Bangalore: Olympic bronze medallist boxer, M C Mary Kom on wednesday said she would soon start full-time preparations for next year`s Rio Olympics and expressed confidence of winning a gold in the mega sporting event.
"I want to win a gold medal for my country in the next year`s Rio Olympics and I am confident of achieving it. I will give full time for my regular training soon," she told reporters at the launch of her autobiography titled `Unbreakable` here.
Mary, a five-time world champion, said she started preparations a few days back but could not continue it because she was busy with the launch of her book.
"I hope, I will participate in competitions and tournaments in next three months, to get match fit. It is not about going into the Olympics with just training sessions behind you. You need some bouts under your belt," she added.
Mary competed at 48 kg weight category for most of her career but she will have to fight in the 51 kg category in Olympics.
She said she was keen on opening branches of her boxing academy in various cities, including Bangalore.
The Manipuri boxer had set up MC Mary Kom Boxing Academy in 2006 at the Langol Games Village residential complex in Imphal West district where she lives with her husband Onler Kom and twin sons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report