Mary Kom wants to groom youth of northeast
Itanagar: Olympic bronze medallist M C Mary Kom on Wednesday reiterated that she wanted to groom boxers from the northeast states at her boxing academy in Manipur.
"I want to do something for the region and whoever is interested in boxing can join my academy," she said at the opening ceremony of the third North East Youth Festival at Sangey Lhaden Sports Academy Complex at Chimpu, near here.
Urging youths of the region to bring sporting laurels to their states, Mary Kom cited her own example -- rising from a poor fanmily to win medals at the Olympics.
"You have energy and talent to excel in the field of sports. Never look back, but work hard and success will be yours," she said.
The Arunachal Pradesh government presented a cheque of Rs 10 lakh to `Magnificent Mary` on the occasion as a token of appreciation for her Olympic feat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!