Mary Kom wants to groom youth of northeast
Itanagar: Olympic bronze medallist M C Mary Kom on Wednesday reiterated that she wanted to groom boxers from the northeast states at her boxing academy in Manipur.
"I want to do something for the region and whoever is interested in boxing can join my academy," she said at the opening ceremony of the third North East Youth Festival at Sangey Lhaden Sports Academy Complex at Chimpu, near here.
Urging youths of the region to bring sporting laurels to their states, Mary Kom cited her own example -- rising from a poor fanmily to win medals at the Olympics.
"You have energy and talent to excel in the field of sports. Never look back, but work hard and success will be yours," she said.
The Arunachal Pradesh government presented a cheque of Rs 10 lakh to `Magnificent Mary` on the occasion as a token of appreciation for her Olympic feat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Every anti-Sikh riot victim will get justice: Home Minister Rajnath Singh
- Prince's guitar, Bowie's hair fetch USD 150,000 at auction
- Lionel Messi: Interesting facts you must know about the Argentine superstar
- Five things about a woman that annoys her boyfriend
- Watch how you can perfect your contouring skills!