Mary Kom wants to groom youth of northeast
Itanagar: Olympic bronze medallist M C Mary Kom on Wednesday reiterated that she wanted to groom boxers from the northeast states at her boxing academy in Manipur.
"I want to do something for the region and whoever is interested in boxing can join my academy," she said at the opening ceremony of the third North East Youth Festival at Sangey Lhaden Sports Academy Complex at Chimpu, near here.
Urging youths of the region to bring sporting laurels to their states, Mary Kom cited her own example -- rising from a poor fanmily to win medals at the Olympics.
"You have energy and talent to excel in the field of sports. Never look back, but work hard and success will be yours," she said.
The Arunachal Pradesh government presented a cheque of Rs 10 lakh to `Magnificent Mary` on the occasion as a token of appreciation for her Olympic feat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- US President Barack Obama hosts jazz concert at `Blues House`
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm