Massive changes in Pak hockey team expected following Azlan Shah Cup debacle
Karachi: Ahead of the Olympics, talks about impending changes in the hockey team, including the captain’s arm-band, have started to gain momentum after Pakistan hit rock bottom at the Azlan Shah Cup.
The three-time champions lost five successive matches including defeats to lower-ranked teams to finish last in the seven-nation event. Penalty-corner specialist Sohail Abbas, leading the team for the first time, is likely to pay the most for the team’s poor show, reports The Express Tribune.
According to a Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) official, the results have forced the federation to mull over changes including captaincy.
"We never expected such a finish. All the players are responsible especially the captain. He (Abbas) was unimpressive on his first assignment and we don’t have much time to test him any further," the official was quoted, as saying.
"The PHF will ask the team management for a report after which a decision on the changes will be made," he added.
However, the official said that the PHF was likely to retain Abbas as captain for the upcoming Europe tour, adding that the body will also probe reports of grouping in the team during the Azlan Shah Cup.
He added that the chances of seniors making a comeback in the team increased after the pathetic show. Shakeel Abbasi and Rehan Butt, who were handed a fine for participation in the unsanctioned World Series Hockey, are likely to make a comeback.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015