Mavericks` Israeli rookie Mekel out after knee surgery
Miami: Dallas Mavericks point guard Gal Mekel, an NBA rookie from Israel, underwent arthroscopic surgery on Friday to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee, the team announced.
There is no timetable for the return of the two-time Most Valuable Player of the Israeli League, who signed with the Mavericks last July to become only the second Israeli player in the NBA.
Mekel led Maccabi Haifa to the Israeli League championship last season after playing the 2011-2012 season for Treviso in the Italian league. He also played two US collegiate seasons for Wichita State University from 2006-2008.
Mekel, 25, has played in 30 games this season, averaging 2.4 points and 2.1 assists.
The Mavericks are 23-17, eighth in the NBA Western Conference and 8.5 games behind San Antonio in the Southwest division.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij