Mavericks` Israeli rookie Mekel out after knee surgery
Miami: Dallas Mavericks point guard Gal Mekel, an NBA rookie from Israel, underwent arthroscopic surgery on Friday to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee, the team announced.
There is no timetable for the return of the two-time Most Valuable Player of the Israeli League, who signed with the Mavericks last July to become only the second Israeli player in the NBA.
Mekel led Maccabi Haifa to the Israeli League championship last season after playing the 2011-2012 season for Treviso in the Italian league. He also played two US collegiate seasons for Wichita State University from 2006-2008.
Mekel, 25, has played in 30 games this season, averaging 2.4 points and 2.1 assists.
The Mavericks are 23-17, eighth in the NBA Western Conference and 8.5 games behind San Antonio in the Southwest division.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Jon Bon Jovi meets cancer patient, gifts her guitar
- GoAir announces heavy Monsoon bonanza; fly as low as Rs 849
- ICSI CS foundation programme exam 2016 result to be declared today on June 29. Check icsi.examresults.net
- Jay Leno survives accident
- REVEALED: Why Kumar Sangakkara left Sachin Tendulkar out of his All Time XI