Mavericks` Israeli rookie Mekel out after knee surgery
Miami: Dallas Mavericks point guard Gal Mekel, an NBA rookie from Israel, underwent arthroscopic surgery on Friday to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee, the team announced.
There is no timetable for the return of the two-time Most Valuable Player of the Israeli League, who signed with the Mavericks last July to become only the second Israeli player in the NBA.
Mekel led Maccabi Haifa to the Israeli League championship last season after playing the 2011-2012 season for Treviso in the Italian league. He also played two US collegiate seasons for Wichita State University from 2006-2008.
Mekel, 25, has played in 30 games this season, averaging 2.4 points and 2.1 assists.
The Mavericks are 23-17, eighth in the NBA Western Conference and 8.5 games behind San Antonio in the Southwest division.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor