Meilutyte sets new 50m breaststoke record
Barcelona: Ruta Meilutyte set her second world record of the World Swimming Championships when she broke the women`s 50 metre breaststroke record in the semifinals here.
The 16-year-old Lithuanian swam a time of 29.48 seconds Saturday to add the 50m record to that she set earlier in the 100m breaststoke.
The former record of 29.78 had been set by Russia`s Yuliana Effimova in the heats only the same morning, reports Xinhua.
The fact that the 50m breaststroke record has been broken in the heats and the semifinal of the event implies that something special can be expected when Meilutyte and Effimova go head to head in Sunday`s final.
"I got it, what can I say? Two world records in one meet is a dream come true. I`ve been close to records and I am really happy to get a low 29 seconds time," said Meilutyte.
This is the fifth new world record set here following on from Meilutyte`s 100m record, Effimova`s 50m record and the 200m breaststroke record broken by Rikke Pederson.
Incredibly all of these have come in either heats or semifinals with Katie Ledecky`s time in the 1,500m freestyle the only record so far to be set in a final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared