Merlin Joseph shatters women`s 100m dash national record
Ranchi: Railway sprinter Merlin K Joseph on smashed the 13-year-old national record in women`s 100m race in the semifinals but could manage only a bronze in the finals on the second day of the 53rd National Open Athletics Championships here.
Merlin clocked 11.35secs to win the semifinals heat number three as she bettered the earlier national record of 11.38secs in the name of Rachita Mistry set in 2000 in Trivandrum.
Merlin, however, finished third in the final race later in the day, clocking 11.95secs. Dutee Chand of ONGC won the gold in 11.73secs while H M Jyothi of Karnataka bagged the silver on a rain-marred day.
Aniruddha Gujar of LIC became the fastest male athlete of the Championships as he won the 100m dash in 10.46secs. Gujar rocketed out of the blocks in the evening`s final to finish well ahead of Tamil Nadu sprinter Suresh Sathya (10.66secs). Abdul Najeeb Qureshi, the joint national record-holder in 100m, finished third just one hundredth of a second behind.
In a biggest upset of the day, Ankit Sharma of LIC pocketed the gold in men`s long jump with a 7.73m ahead of Railways` Kumaravel Prem Kumar who had a hamstring injury during the finals and finished with his first round leap of 7.62m.
Prem Kumar had recorded 8.09m at 79th Railways Athletics Meet last month but his effort is yet to be ratified as a national record.
Half-milers Tintu Luka and Sajeesh Joseph, both of Railways, lived up to their billings. Tintu retained her gold while Sajeesh made a `hat-trick` of wins in 800m.
It was the fifth title at the National Open for Sajeesh and fourth for Tintu. Unlike Tintu, who got the gold in her own style in 2:01.87, Sajeesh had to fight it out with ONGC runner Manjeet Singh right up to the wire as just one-hundredth of a second decided the victor.
Tintu`s coach P T Usha was satisfied with the effort of her ward.
"I am satisfied with her performance as rain marred the event, and also it is the season ending Championship," Usha said when asked why her protege failed to clock sub two minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Bhagwant Mann posts video of security pickets on way to Parliament; MPs attack AAP lawmaker
- Mario Goetze returns home: Germany's World Cup hero leaves Bayern Munich for Borussia Dortmund
- 43 civilians dead in bombardment of Syria rebel-held areas: Report
- Rain, traffic jam and kisses - This couple hogged the limelight on Delhi road: Watch
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Axe for Steven Finn, Jake Ball as hosts seek to level series