Michael Jordan says no paternity test
New York: Basketball legend Michael Jordan has asked a Georgia court on Monday to dismiss a paternity suit against him, calling it a "shameless, bad faith attempt to abuse the legal system."
Jordan`s lawyer John Mayoue said in a document filed in Fulton County Superior Court that the six-time NBA champion is not the father of Pamela Y. Smith`s 16-year-old son, the New York Post reported.
The paternity of the teen was "conclusively established" in divorce filings between Smith and her ex-husband, Jordan`s attorney wrote.
"Public records show that the paternity of the child was established in a prior case in this same court many years ago and that Michael Jordan is not the father. He also filed a counterclaim seeking sanctions for the false claims made against him. It is unfortunate that well-known figures are the target of these kind of claims. Michael Jordan will vigorously defend himself and his reputation," spokeswoman Estee Portnoy said in a statement.
In response to Smith`s lawsuit, Jordan`s lawyer attached a 2003 divorce court filing between Smith and her then-husband Glenville G. Reynolds.
The document said the marriage produced one child and listed the boy`s birth date and name. At the end of the document, there is a statement signed by Smith saying everything is "true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief."
Smith`s lawsuit requests Jordan take a paternity test, pay child support and share medical, dental and hospital costs not covered by insurance.
She also requested the boy`s last name be changed to Jordan, and asked a judge to order the Georgia Department of Vital Records to issue him a new birth certificate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video