Michael Phelps rules out Rio Olympics comeback
Rio de Janeiro: Legendary swimmer Michael Phelps has ruled out the possibility of competing at the 2016 Rio Olympics, saying he is "happier" in retirement.
Speaking ahead of Monday night`s Laureus World Sports Awards here, Phelps said he was relishing the opportunity to dedicate time to other projects.
"I am having fun. I love being retired, I can`t stress it enough," Phelps said during a swimming event for underprivileged children at the Rocinha slum.
"I am happy, smiling and more relaxed. It`s something that I have wanted for a long time and now I`m happy that I can make the most of it."
The 27-year-old admitted he had made the most of his time in Rio by visiting the city`s famous beaches.
"This is my second time here and it`s very impressive. I`ve never seen anything like it. The people here are incredible. Yesterday my agent and I decided to go to the beach and it was great to see how everybody seems to be having fan and is so relaxed. It`s not something you see too often. It`s going to be something special for Rio to host the Olympics and the World Cup with this type of spirit," he said.
Phelps announced his retirement after last year`s London Olympics, where he won four gold and two silver medals. He is the most successful Olympic swimmer of all time with 22 medals, including 18 gold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!