Milkha Singh donates Olympic shoes for charity auction
Chandigarh: Legendary athlete Milkha Singh has donated his priceless pair of shoes, which he wore during the 1960 Rome Olympics, for a charity auction which will be held in Mumbai, on February 11.
Milkha says certain things are priceless, but there can be no good reason to part with them when they are given for a noble cause.
"I hope the charity auction will fulfil someone`s dream," he said.
He said Bollywood actor Rahul Bose, whose NGO would be carrying out the auction, had told him that there was a charity auction for the benefit of the blind and other needy children.
Singh said that earlier he had given another pair of shoes worn in the Rome Olympics to Sports Museum at Patiala, but had this pair with him for over five decades.
"Rahul Bose visited my home last month and told me about his charity project. He told me that they keep holding auctions for needy and poor children," Singh said, adding it was former hockey captain Ajit Pal Singh who had introduced him to Bose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan