Milkha Singh`s statue to motivate youngsters take up sports
Chandigarh: A 28-feet-high statue of legendary Indian athlete Milkha Singh is coming up in a village near Ludhiana to motivate youngsters to take up sports.
"A sports academy is raising the statue at a cost of Rs 7.5 lakh in village Jarkhar, about 10 km from Ludhiana," Singh stated.
"It will motivate young children take up sports besides promoting games in rural areas," the `Flying Sikh` said.
The statue will be ready by the end of December and Singh has been invited by the academy to unveil it.
Singh said that many famous sportspersons have come up from rural areas, and the statue will serve as an inspiration.
"I was born and brought up in a village and most of the athletes, including Parduman Singh and Makhan Singh came from villages. Most of the hockey players also came from rural background," he said.
"The statue will inspire younger generation to take up sports, especially athletics and hockey."
He said the recent biopic on him, Bhag Milkha Bhag, was also successful in raising awareness regarding athletics and related sports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption