Milkha Singh`s statue to motivate youngsters take up sports
Chandigarh: A 28-feet-high statue of legendary Indian athlete Milkha Singh is coming up in a village near Ludhiana to motivate youngsters to take up sports.
"A sports academy is raising the statue at a cost of Rs 7.5 lakh in village Jarkhar, about 10 km from Ludhiana," Singh stated.
"It will motivate young children take up sports besides promoting games in rural areas," the `Flying Sikh` said.
The statue will be ready by the end of December and Singh has been invited by the academy to unveil it.
Singh said that many famous sportspersons have come up from rural areas, and the statue will serve as an inspiration.
"I was born and brought up in a village and most of the athletes, including Parduman Singh and Makhan Singh came from villages. Most of the hockey players also came from rural background," he said.
"The statue will inspire younger generation to take up sports, especially athletics and hockey."
He said the recent biopic on him, Bhag Milkha Bhag, was also successful in raising awareness regarding athletics and related sports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- PHOTO: 'World boss' Chris Gayle with 'Macho boy' Sarfaraz Khan in cool pic
- FDI up 37% after launch of 'Make in India'
- Priyanka Chopra to attend White House Correspondents' dinner
- SHOCKING! 10 year-old-boy beaten up for tearing Trinamool Congress posters
- Pakistan jumps into Kohinoor controversy, says diamond was gifted to England