Ministry receives more than 50 nominations for Arjuna awards
New Delhi: The Sports Ministry has received about 50-60 nominations from across all Nationals Sports Federations (NSFs) for the prestigious Arjuna award and another 30-40 recommendations for the Dronacharya award within the deadline that ended on Tuesday.
The nominations include the names of cricketer Virat Kohli for Arjuna award and the legendary Sunil Gavaskar for the Dhyanchand award (lifetime achievement), recommended by the Indian Cricket Board (BCCI).
"We have got some 50-60 nominations for Arjuna awards and 30-40 for the Dronacharya," a ministry official said.
"It will take us at least a day to compile all the names," the official added.
Tuesday was the last date for receiving nominations for the Arjuna, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Dronacharya and Dhyanchand awards.
"We would be sending the names and then a committee would be formed, which will shortlist names in June and in July the names will come to the ministry for approval," the official said.
On Monday the ministry had received two nominations for the Khel Ratna award -- para athlete HN Girisha and hockey player Sandeep Singh.
Girisha won the silver medal in high jump at the London Paralympics and that fetched him the Padma Shri earlier this year.
The Khel Ratna, India`s highest honour given for achievement in sports, carries a medal, a scroll of honour and cash prize of Rs 7.5 lakh.
To be eligible for the Arjuna award, a sportsperson should not only have good performances consistently for the previous three years at the international level with excellence for the year for which the award is recommended but must also have shown qualities of leadership, sportsmanship and a sense of discipline.
The award consists of a statuette, a scroll of honour, ceremonial dress and a cash award of Rs 5 lakh.
The Dronacharya award comprises of a plaque, a scroll of honour, ceremonial dress, and cash prize of Rs 5 lakh, while the Dhyanchand award consists of a cash award of Rs 5 lakh, a plaque and a scroll of honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead