Ministry suspends recognition to IABF
Close on the heels of International Boxing Association provisionally suspending the Indian Federation, the Sports Ministry also suspended recognition to the IABF, citing "flawed and faulty" elections.
This was announced by the Sports Minister Jitendra Singh, who said the IABF election held in September were in "violation of the procedure laid down in the Sports Code."
"IABF has been suspended primarily on grounds that elections were flawed and faulty and the nomination time given was very less. When the nomination did not come in, people were just picked from the house. We have given them 15 days time to confirm that they would hold a re-election," said the Minister.
The September elections saw incumbent President Abhay Sinhg Chautala being made the nominated chairman, replaced by his brother-in-law and BJP MLA from Rajasthan Abhishek Matoria, 29, as President.
The Ministry listed the flaws in the election in a detailed statement.
"The publication of the electoral roll was flawed because it was not possible for the electoral roll to be dispatched to members by post prior to the last date for filing of nominations and merely publishing on the website is not considered sufficient notice or information to all members," it said.
"Members were not given sufficient time to file nominations as the gap between the finalisation of the electoral roll and the filing of nomination was too short to allow people to travel large distances and file nominations personally," the Ministry added.
"Nominations of candidates were taken from the floor of the House on a date which was after last date of nomination and this is not permissible."
The Ministry said the only way forward now is to hold the elections again.
"...The entire election needs to be held afresh. The Government has to suspend the recognition of the Indian Amateur Boxing Federation pending fresh elections.
"A notice will be sent to the IABF to confirm that they will hold fresh elections under independent supervision within a period of 15 days failing which the de-recognition will be made absolute," it said.
It is a massive jolt to the IABF which is already in a state of shock after being provisionally suspended by AIBA, which cited "possible manipulation" of the elections as the reason.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened