Ministry takes dim view of Chautala`s attack on Bindra
New Delhi: The Union sports ministry Saturday stated that iconic sportspersons are "national heroes" and that it has "zero tolerance" to attacks on them.
Though the ministry did not take any names in its statement, it was clearly pointing to the unsavoury verbal attack by the president of the suspended Indian Olympic Association (IOA) Abhay Singh Chautala on the father of India`s lone Olympic individual gold medallist, Abhinav Bindra.
"The ministry has observed with considerable disquiet, comments by individuals in the media casting aspersions on certain sportspersons who have brought laurels to the country in international sports events," said the statement.
"The ministry reiterates that it considers international sports awardees as national heroes and has zero tolerance to attacks against sportspersons. The ministry of youth affairs and sports remains committed to furthering the cause of Indian sportspersons and sports in India."
In a no holds barred personal attack on Bindra Friday, Chautala referred to the shooter`s father being jailed in a cheque bouncing case.
"Abhinav`s father has been in jail for more than a month in a cheque bouncing case. If Bindra has a problem with tainted people, then he should first disown his father or leave his house immediately," Chautala had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Maoists kill LJP leader, brother in Bihar
- French Open 2016, Day 4: Sania Mirza, Leander Paes, Rohan Bopanna enter French Open second round
- Panama probe independent of Bachchan's presence at Modi bash: Union Law Minister
- PM Modi congratulates new Kerala CM
- Jharkhand Maoists torch 35 vehicles in 150 days; contractors panic