Ministry tells PCI Secy Gen to step down under Sports Code
New Delhi: Taking action under its controversial Sports Code, the government has asked the Secretary General of Paralympic Committee of India, Rathan Singh to step down from his post on the ground that he has attained the age of 70.
The age and tenure guidelines of the Sports Code -- which has been hotly contested by the Indian Olympic Association and few National Sports Federations -- provides that a person cannot become a president or secretary of a sports body on attaining the age of 70.
"I am directed to refer to your letter dated 18-2-2012 on the subject cited above and to stated that as per the provisions of Sports Code, as contained in the order dated 0l-05-2010, the Secretary General of PCI ceases to hold office on attaining the age of 7O years," the Sports Ministry said in a letter addressed to Rathan Singh.
"This issues with the approval of Secretary (Sports)," said the letter, a copy of which was marked for PCI President Sultan Ahmed.
The PCI welcomed the Ministry`s decision and said it follows the Sports Code.
"It is mandatory to mention here that Paralympic Committee of India is the only Federation which completely followed the Sports Code," Secretary General in-charge Satyanarayana said.
The PCI was reportedly unhappy with Rathan Singh as he had stopped discharging his duties as the secretary general for last two-three months and has shut down his office in Bangalore.
Taking note of the development, the PCI, in its February 27 meeting, appointed Satyanarayanan as Secretary in-charge replacing him.
A miffed Rathan had filed a civil suit in a Bangalore court against the body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Kusal Mendis inspires Sri Lanka to a 196-run lead over Australia on a topsy-turvy 3rd day
- Former BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu to join AAP on August 15?
- Bank employees to go on strike on Friday, services to be hit
- Avg 49 days of employment generated in 2015-16 under MGNREGA: Govt
- Turkey`s post-coup purge: almost 16,000 detained, 50,000 fired