Ministry tells PCI Secy Gen to step down under Sports Code
New Delhi: Taking action under its controversial Sports Code, the government has asked the Secretary General of Paralympic Committee of India, Rathan Singh to step down from his post on the ground that he has attained the age of 70.
The age and tenure guidelines of the Sports Code -- which has been hotly contested by the Indian Olympic Association and few National Sports Federations -- provides that a person cannot become a president or secretary of a sports body on attaining the age of 70.
"I am directed to refer to your letter dated 18-2-2012 on the subject cited above and to stated that as per the provisions of Sports Code, as contained in the order dated 0l-05-2010, the Secretary General of PCI ceases to hold office on attaining the age of 7O years," the Sports Ministry said in a letter addressed to Rathan Singh.
"This issues with the approval of Secretary (Sports)," said the letter, a copy of which was marked for PCI President Sultan Ahmed.
The PCI welcomed the Ministry`s decision and said it follows the Sports Code.
"It is mandatory to mention here that Paralympic Committee of India is the only Federation which completely followed the Sports Code," Secretary General in-charge Satyanarayana said.
The PCI was reportedly unhappy with Rathan Singh as he had stopped discharging his duties as the secretary general for last two-three months and has shut down his office in Bangalore.
Taking note of the development, the PCI, in its February 27 meeting, appointed Satyanarayanan as Secretary in-charge replacing him.
A miffed Rathan had filed a civil suit in a Bangalore court against the body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you