Mirabai wins three bronze in Junior World Weightlifting
New Delhi: India opened their medal account in the Junior World Weightlifting Championships with Saikhom Mirabai Chanu bagging three bronze in the women`s 48kg category on the opening day of the competition in Lima, Peru on Sunday.
Mirabai won a bronze each in snatch (72kg) and clean and jerk (93kg) and total lift (165kg) to begin India`s campaign on a positive note.
All the three gold medals in the event went to Chinese lifter Guan Chunyin participating in her first international competition. She lifted a total of 182kg (82kg+100kg). Piron Beatriz Elizabeth of Dominica won all the three silver medals with a total lift of 172kg (77kg+95kg).
In men`s 56kg, India`s Apurba Chetia missed out on medals by a whisker as he finished fourth in each of snatch (102kg), clean and jerk (127kg) and total lift (229kg).
Wei Xiameng of China bagged a gold each in clean and jerk (139kg) and total lift (244kg) while the gold in snatch went to Sahin Muammer of Turkey with 107kg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'