Mirabai wins three bronze in Junior World Weightlifting
New Delhi: India opened their medal account in the Junior World Weightlifting Championships with Saikhom Mirabai Chanu bagging three bronze in the women`s 48kg category on the opening day of the competition in Lima, Peru on Sunday.
Mirabai won a bronze each in snatch (72kg) and clean and jerk (93kg) and total lift (165kg) to begin India`s campaign on a positive note.
All the three gold medals in the event went to Chinese lifter Guan Chunyin participating in her first international competition. She lifted a total of 182kg (82kg+100kg). Piron Beatriz Elizabeth of Dominica won all the three silver medals with a total lift of 172kg (77kg+95kg).
In men`s 56kg, India`s Apurba Chetia missed out on medals by a whisker as he finished fourth in each of snatch (102kg), clean and jerk (127kg) and total lift (229kg).
Wei Xiameng of China bagged a gold each in clean and jerk (139kg) and total lift (244kg) while the gold in snatch went to Sahin Muammer of Turkey with 107kg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- JNUSU president Kanhaiya Kumar's bail may be cancelled by Delhi High Court - Know why
- Prashant Bhushan takes dig at Smriti Irani, says 'Will HRD be renamed Hindu Rashtra Development Ministry?'
- Japan gives up on failed black hole research satellite
- Notice issued to Priyanka Gandhi Vadra over her land deal in Shimla
- PM Modi tests performance of BJP MPs on social media; Sushma Swaraj emerges star performer