Rio de Janeiro: Mixed martial artist Anderson Silva has vowed to prove his innocence after testing positive for steroids.
In a statement published on Instagram Friday, the Brazilian questioned results taken from two separate tests last month, reports Xinhua.
"I don't know what to apologise for because I am still waiting for the results and analysis from the specialists that are working to reveal the truth," Silva said.
"Everything that I took since my injury are being analysed. I look for the truth as much as all those who were surprised with the results. I always played clean, I was never a cheater."
Silva is widely considered the most successful mixed martial artist in history, having gone undefeated in the UFC middleweight division from from 2006 to 2013.
The 39-year-old returned from a 13-month injury layoff to beat American Nick Diaz Jan 31 in Las Vegas.
Suspended by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) earlier this week, Silva is still awaiting results from his B samples.
"I think that the hurry some people have to condemn me is unfair. The time it takes to destroy a reputation is infinitely less than that is taken to build it," Silva said.
"I want those who have always supported me to know that I am still fighting for all the sad happenings of this situation to be cleared."