Mo Farah lifts lid on park brawl with stranger
London: Double world and Olympic champion Mo Farah has revealed that he once became embroiled in a fist-fight with a stranger while training in a park in London.
The Somalia-born Briton, champion over 5,000 metres and 10,000 metres at both last year`s London Olympics and this year`s World Championships, made the revelation in his new autobiography, which is being serialised in British newspaper the Daily Telegraph.
Farah said that the incident happened on Christmas Day in 2009 after he asked a couple with a pram not to block a path in Richmond Park in southwest London.
"All of a sudden the man stepped towards me, as if he wanted to fight," Farah said.
"He was much taller and bigger than me, but I did not want to back down. We were in each other`s faces. Then it all kicked off.
"Before I knew it, we were having a full-blown fight, rolling around on the ground, trading blows. Onlookers had to pull us apart before things got really bad."
The usually mild-mannered Farah subsequently called his wife, Tania, who drove to the park to collect him.
The police also arrived, but Farah said that although there were "nicks and cuts" all over his face and a "massive bruise" on his head, they were reluctant to pursue the matter.
"The other guy looked the worse for wear too, and although I told the police that he had attacked me first, they were reluctant to press charges because the guy looked as if he had come off worse in the scrap," he said.
"I came home, cleaned up and changed and forgot about it. But it`s fair to say my Christmas Day got off to a bad start."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview