Mo Farah wins ‘European Athlete of the Year’ award
London: Long distance runner Mo Farah, who won double gold medals at the London Games, has now won the European Athlete of the Year award, making it a British double.
Farah, who won Olympic 5,000m and 10,000m gold, becomes only the second athlete to be named as European Athlete of the Year for the second time in a row following on from Swedish triple jumper Christian Olsson in 2003 and 2004, the Sun reports.
Farah, also defended his European 5,000m title in Helsinki to become the first man to win consecutive gold medals over the distance at those championships.
The Somalia-born athlete joins Linford Christie, Colin Jackson, Jonathan Edwards, Dwain Chambers and Phillips Idowu as British winners of the award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145