Modernisation put wrestling back in Olympics, says world body
Buenos Aires: The world wrestling federation chief said "modernisation" helped the sport get reinstated in the 2020 and 2024 Olympic Games.
The president of the International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA), Serbia`s Nenad Lalovic said Sunday the members of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), who voted earlier in the day to put wrestling back in the program after axing it seven months ago, were convinced the sport had "improved" and "modernised", reports Xinhua.
"We had to think about why they had proposed we leave the Games and then we studied what road we should take to once again be part of the Olympic family. We improved all of the areas the IOC pointed out, and this vote is the outcome," said Lalovic.
At a press conference following the IOC vote here, which reinstated wrestling and nixed baseball/softball and squash, Lalovic said his organisation`s Save Olympic Wrestling campaign succeeded "in modernising our sport."
"Wrestling is not a new Olympic sport, but what we are presenting is a new kind of wrestling," added Lalovic.
The IOC`s surprise decision to axe wrestling in February led to the resignation in March of former FILA chief Raphael Martinetti (2002-2013).
"We are trying to bring our sport up to date, make it more spectacular and watchable, with simpler rules," said Lalovic, referring to a series of changes the wrestling body has made since February to win back the sport`s place in the Olympics.
Allegations of corruption also marred his predecessor`s term as FILA chief, leading Lalovic to remark the wrestling body was now ruled by "total transparency".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!