Modernisation put wrestling back in Olympics, says world body
Buenos Aires: The world wrestling federation chief said "modernisation" helped the sport get reinstated in the 2020 and 2024 Olympic Games.
The president of the International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA), Serbia`s Nenad Lalovic said Sunday the members of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), who voted earlier in the day to put wrestling back in the program after axing it seven months ago, were convinced the sport had "improved" and "modernised", reports Xinhua.
"We had to think about why they had proposed we leave the Games and then we studied what road we should take to once again be part of the Olympic family. We improved all of the areas the IOC pointed out, and this vote is the outcome," said Lalovic.
At a press conference following the IOC vote here, which reinstated wrestling and nixed baseball/softball and squash, Lalovic said his organisation`s Save Olympic Wrestling campaign succeeded "in modernising our sport."
"Wrestling is not a new Olympic sport, but what we are presenting is a new kind of wrestling," added Lalovic.
The IOC`s surprise decision to axe wrestling in February led to the resignation in March of former FILA chief Raphael Martinetti (2002-2013).
"We are trying to bring our sport up to date, make it more spectacular and watchable, with simpler rules," said Lalovic, referring to a series of changes the wrestling body has made since February to win back the sport`s place in the Olympics.
Allegations of corruption also marred his predecessor`s term as FILA chief, leading Lalovic to remark the wrestling body was now ruled by "total transparency".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!