Modi hails Indian women hockey team
New Delhi: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Monday congratulated the Indian women hockey team for winning the first ever bronze medal in the Junior Women`s Hockey World Cup.
"Congratulations to our women hockey players for winning the first bronze at Junior Women Hockey World Cup. A historic feat!," Modi tweeted. India defeated England on Sunday.
On Sunday, Indian girls created history by winning country`s first ever bronze medal in the junior women hockey World Cup as they pipped England 3-2 penalties, riding on striker Rani`s dazzling show, in the ongoing Junior Women`s hockey World Cup in Monchengladbach.
Hockey India has announced a cash reward for the Indian team. Each player will get Rs 1 lakh each.
With PTI and IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre