Mohali drug haul: Is Vijender Singh hiding something?
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Olympic medallist Vijender Singh reportedly refused to give his hair and blood samples on Monday while being questioned by the Punjab police on Monday.
The refusal only raises doubts regarding his innocence in the Mohali drug haul that has tainted his reputation after his name cropped up in the case.
According to reports, the latest developments might see the star boxer face legal actions with the possibility of being arrested.
Vijender was questioned about his visits to Kahlon as claimed by his friend Ram Singh.
His wife’s car was found parked near NRI Anup Singh Kahlon’s house from where 30 kg of heroin, worth over Rs 130 crore was recovered by police.
Subsequently, his sparring partner and roommate Ram Singh was called up for investigations and the boxer revealed that Vijender and he had mistakenly consumed drugs thinking it to be a food supplement.
Vijender, according to the sources, was also quizzed about Ram Singh's statement that the duo had taken small quantities of the drug as "food supplement".
"As per the procedure, in the presence of two private witnesses, he was asked for his consent for giving his blood and hair samples required for forensic examination for investigation purpose, which he refused," the SSP said in a statement.
The poster boy of Indian boxing initially expressed shock at the claims and when later asked by the police to provide his hair and blood samples for forensic examinations, reportedly said that since he hadn’t taken the drugs providing the samples amounted to an insult.
On the other hand, Ram Singh’s hair and blood samples have already been sent by the police for examinations.
However, the denial only puts Vijender Singh in the dock, raising suspicions over his involvement in the case.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city