Mohali drug haul: NADA refuses to test Vijender Singh for heroin consumption
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) has refused to conduct heroin test on boxer Vijender Singh despite the Sports ministry’s request.
According to a leading new channel, NADA has cited World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA) protocol as the reason behind the decision saying heroin testing is not in their prohibited list and it doesn’t form part of out of competition tests.
ALSO READ: IABF advises Vijender to come clean»
NADA Director General Mukul Chaterjee had earlier said that heroin is a performance enhancing drug and the boxer will be punished if he is found guilty.
Sports ministry on Monday in a press release had said that, "Such reports in respect of a sporting icon are disturbing and may have a debilitating influence on other sportspersons in the country. It has, therefore, been considered necessary that NADA gets a test carried out on Vijender Singh for his reported use of heroin even out-of-competition."
"The communication has asked NADA to carry out the test immediately under intimation to the Ministry," the release added.
Vijender’s name had cropped up in a massive drug haul Where the police had recovered 26 kg of heroin, estimated around Rs Rs 130 crore, from NRI Kahlon`s house in Shivalik Vihar in Zirakpur on March 7. The car of Vijender`s wife Archana was found by police near the NRI`s house..
Anoop Singh Kahlon, the NRI arrested in the drug haul, had confessed to have sold heroin to Vijender Singh and his sparring partner Ram Singh.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!