Mohali drug haul: Vijender gives blood, hair samples to NADA
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: The National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) on Wednesday finally took samples of Indian boxer Vijender Singh to test him for heroin.
Sports minister Jitendra Singh said that NADA took Vijender’s hair as well as blood sample. NADA had earlier refused to conduct any heroin test on the boxer citing World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) protocol. The refusal had left the Sports Ministry flummoxed.
The name of Vijender, who won the middleweight bronze at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, cropped up in the scandal when Fatehgarh Sahib police exposed a drug haul case and took his sparring partner Ram Singh, later on dismissed by the Punjab Police, in custody for interrogation.
Ram allegedly told the investigators that he and Vijender consumed heroin supplied by Kahlon many times.
Vijender has been denying the allegations made by the police. However, the police on Sunday claimed that they had evidence to prove that Vijender had taken heroin on twelve occasions.
The sports ministry had asked NADA to conduct a test on Vijender to conclude whether he had consumed heroin or not.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy