More comfortable in ring than walking the ramp: Mary Kom
New Delhi: Life has been a never-ending challenge for London Olympics bronze medallist M C Mary Kom, but the unassuming pugilist says she had the most difficult time walking the ramp for a charity event recently.
"I am more comfortable in the ring than walking on the ramp," said Mary Kom, who was recently seen walking the ramp at Shabana Azmi`s NGO charity fashion show.
"Shabana madam gave me the opportunity. I was very excited but at the same time I was afraid if I fall down what will happen," the boxer said during the India Today conclave here today.
Asked about a film being made by Sanjay Leela Bhansali on her life Mary Kom, who was draped in a traditional saree, said it will be an inspiration for the youngsters and will motivate them to chase their dreams.
"They are making a movie on my life. I had never thought that one day a movie would be made on my life. It is not only for me, but it is for the youngsters to see how I made it so big. The amount of hard work that has gone in all this... It will motivate the youngsters," the 28-year-old said.
When asked how difficult was it to make it to the echelons of the sport considered to be male bastion, the mother of two replied that she took it as a challenge and wanted to prove it to the world "if they can why can`t I."
"It was difficult. There is a general perception that boxing is meant for only boys. I was like, if they can do it why can`t I?"
"People used to say what will you do in boxing and before my marriage I became the world champion. After marriage there was again the same challenge. I believe in doing and not just saying and after marriage, I won two more World Championships," Mary Kom said.
Asked if motherhood made any difference to her career, Mary Kom said it brought a new challenge and that she was determined to prove to the world once again that she was fit to be at the top of her game.
"People began to say now that you have become a mother you won`t be able to compete anymore. Even my dad told me it was enough. I again took it as a challenge and won the World Championship.
"The last challenge was the Olympics. I used to contest in the 48kg weight category, but in the Olympics that category didn`t exist. So I had to increase my weight to participate in the 51kg. It was not easy but with lot of difficulty, I increased my weight and qualified for the Olympics.
"Then there was a again a challenge, people said she won`t be able to win a medal. But with the support of my coaches and their well wishes I made it possible," the Manipuri pugilist said.
Mary Kom thanked God for blessing her with a strong will. "I am happy that God has blessed me with that sort of will."
When asked whether her kids knew about their boxer mom, Mary Kom replied in positive and added that "seeing my muscles they are always by my side", as the packed Siri Fort Auditorium burst into a fit of laughter.
"They know and they really feel happy about it. They see my muscles and are always on my side because their papa doesn`t have the same sort of muscles as I have," she said, adding that her husband has been a pillar of support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview