MP CM announces reward of Rs 1 lakh for hockey players
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has announced a reward of Rs one lakh each to the members of the Indian hockey team which won the Asian Champions Trophy in China recently.
Chouhan made the announcement from China where he is taking part in the ongoing World Economic Forum meet, sources said.
When Chouhan was apprised about the paltry monetary offer of Rs 25,000 from Hockey India which the players refused, he immediately announced the award to each member of the squad.
The hockey team, which won the Asian Champions Trophy after beating arch-rivals Pakistan in the final on Sunday, yesterday rejected HI`s Rs 25,000 cash reward, saying the paltry amount was not proper recognition of their achievement.
However, hours after Indian players rejected the offer, cash rewards trickled in for them with the Sports Ministry announcing Rs 1.5 lakh each and Punjab government pitching in with Rs 25 lakh to the team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened