MP govt sanctions Rs 1 lakh assistance for Olympian selling 'gol gappas'
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has sanctioned an Rs one lakh to Athens Special Olympics bronze medal winner, Seeta Sahu of Rewa, following newspaper reports which highlighted her plight.
Seeta, 15, won two bronze medals in 200 and 1600 meter race in Athens Special Olympics in 2011 but she struggles to make ends meet selling `gol gappas`.
Before the contingent for the Special Olympics left for Athens, state`s Social Justice Minister Gopal Bhargava had announced that those winning gold medal will be given Rs one lakh cash reward, silver medal winners will get Rs 50,000 and while bronze Rs 25,000, sources said.
However, Seeta after winning laurels for the country did not receive any reward.
After her father fell ill, Seeta stopped going to school and started working full time to sustain her family.
When the media highlighted the issue, the government acted swiftly with Chouhan announcing financial assistance.
Congress general secretary, Digvijay Singh also criticised the government yesterday for its lackadaisical attitude in the matter and assured that he will get the matter examined and ensure that Seeta gets an assistance from the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army kills 35 terrorists in surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’