Mumbai Fighters blank Matadors 5-0 for first WSB win
Mumbai: Mumbai Fighters rode on a huge advantage to inflict a 5-0 defeat on LA Matadors for their first win in the World Series of Boxing, thereby improving their chances of making it to the quarter-finals.
The city-based outfit, India`s only franchisee in the WSB, had started the Group A fight with a 2-0 lead in the best of five clash even before the bouts began.
The bantam-weight category bout between Bhiwani lad Jitendra Kumar and Fernando Martinez and the light heavyweight clash between the home team`s Marko Cilic and Levan Guledani were awarded to the home team as a walkover.
Martinez, who suffered an injury, had been replaced by the visitors with Joet Gonzalez but since he was not officially registered, the bout was awarded to the Mumbai outfit.
Gonzalez, however, did take to the ring against Jitendra in an exhibition match which the Bhiwani-boxer won 50-45, 49-46, 50-49, much to the delight of the crowd that gathered at the T-Box mobile arena at the Inorbit Mall in suburban Malad.
The light heavyweight clash, too, was a walkover for the Mumbai-side as Guledani had failed to procure a visa and could not turn up.
Light weight pugilist Sidhharth Varma sealed the deal for the Fighters as he overcame the challenge of Eric Fowler, who had a 4-2 WSB record prior to this match, with the three udges giving an unanimous decision in his favour -- 48-47, 48-47, 48-47.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'