Mumbai Fighters keen for revenge against Dynamo Moscow
Mumbai: Struggling Indian franchise team, Venky`s Mumbai Fighters would seek to take revenge over the formidable pugilists from Dynamo Moscow when the two teams meet in the seventh round of the World Series Boxing league at suburban Malad on Friday.
The Mumbai outfit, who were outclassed 5-0 by the Russian franchise when the two previously met in the latter`s backyard two months ago, would be looking forward to avenge that heavy defeat, besides keeping their qualifying hopes for the quarterfinals alive.
The adverse climate condition seemed to have affected the Fighters in the first leg and it is pay back time for the Mumbai outfit against the Dynamos in the open-air arena at Inorbit Mall.
The encounter is crucial for both teams.
The Fighters would look at improving their points tally in Group A, while the Russian outfit will want to maintain its position.
The Fighters are lying fifth in the six-team group, one rung above bottom-placed Bangkok franchise, with seven points from two wins and four losses.
Their rivals from Moscow are in third spot with 10 points, having won three and losing 3 of their matches so far.
Fighters` boxer Siddharth Varma, who has drawn a lot of attention with his entertaining and rookie style of boxing, would be entering the ring in the lightweight category.
Varma, who won his bout when Fighters faced Los Angeles Matadors, is all set to take on Adlan Abdurashidov, a quarterfinalist at last year`s China Open, in the second bout (lightweight) tomorrow.
In the opening bantamweight bout, Delhi`s Gaurav Bidhuri, a quarterfinalist at the 2009 World Juniors and bronze medallist at the President`s Cup in Jakarta and the last Nationals, will cross swords with Vladimir Nikitin, a silver medallist at the 2010 China Open.
In two other bouts, Croat Sanjin Pol Vrgoc of Fighters will take on Maxim Gazizov in middleweight, while 2010 World Youth Championship bronze winner Leanid Charnabayeu of Belarus, a world youth quarter finalist, face Vladimir Sheles (Lt-heavy).
The Fighters are hoping that Uaine Fa Junior of Tonga, who is set to arrive only tomorrow morning, would make up for the thrashing their fighter Trent Rawlins received at the hands of Arslanbek Makhmudov of Dynamo in the heavyweight first leg contest on November 21 last year.
Aussie-born Rawlins, a self-confessed cricket fan, was sent sprawling to the canvas by 2010 World University champion Makhmudov with a sledgehammer right to the jaw at the Sukharev Sports Complex in Perm, Eastern Russia to complete the humiliation of the Fighters in the first leg competition between the two teams.
The line up:
Bout 1: Bantamweight (50-54 kg): Gaurav Bidhuri vs Vladimir Nikitin.
Bout 2: Lightweight (57-61 kg): Siddharth Varma v Adlan Abdurashidov.
Bout 3: Middleweight (68-73 kg): Sanjin Pol Vrgoc v Maxim Gazizov.
Bout 4: Light Heavyweight (80-85 kg): Leanid Charnabayeu v Vladimir Sheles.
Bout 5: Heavyweight (91+kg): Uaine Fa Junior v Arslanbek Makhmudov.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now