Mumbai Magicians open account with 3-2 win in HIL
Mumbai: Mumbai Magicians broke their winless streak by defeating Kalinga Lancers 3-2 in the second edition of the Hero Hockey India League (HHIL) at the Mumbai Hockey Association Stadium here on Sunday.
It was the Magicians` maiden win this season and it came after eight matches and after 12 games in the Hockey India League.
It was the clash between the bottom-placed teams of the league and both were guilty of squandering chances, despite a goal being scored in each quarter.
The hosts took the lead in the 17th minute through a field goal when captain Glenn Turner pushed the ball on the rebound.
The M K Kaushik-coached side surged ahead when Mark Gleghorne, who took the flick, found the right side of the net in the 33 minute to convert the penalty corner with ease.
The debutants however reduced the margin in the 43 minute with a field goal from Mohammed Nizammudin.
Mumbai restored the lead in the 57th minute when Ravipal Singh combined with Sarvanjit Singh to make it 3-1.
However, the Terry Walsh-coached Lancers struck back a minute later through a field goal from Lucas Vila to keep the goal deficit to one.
The win gave Magicians, who played their last home tie, five points and took their tally to 13 points from nine games, while the Lancers pocketed a point to be at the fifth position with 17 points in 10 games.
The Mumbai Magicians will next play Uttar Pradesh Wizards on February 18 in Lucknow, while this was Kalinga Lancers` last match this season.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended