Mumbai Magicians open account with 3-2 win in HIL
Mumbai: Mumbai Magicians broke their winless streak by defeating Kalinga Lancers 3-2 in the second edition of the Hero Hockey India League (HHIL) at the Mumbai Hockey Association Stadium here on Sunday.
It was the Magicians` maiden win this season and it came after eight matches and after 12 games in the Hockey India League.
It was the clash between the bottom-placed teams of the league and both were guilty of squandering chances, despite a goal being scored in each quarter.
The hosts took the lead in the 17th minute through a field goal when captain Glenn Turner pushed the ball on the rebound.
The M K Kaushik-coached side surged ahead when Mark Gleghorne, who took the flick, found the right side of the net in the 33 minute to convert the penalty corner with ease.
The debutants however reduced the margin in the 43 minute with a field goal from Mohammed Nizammudin.
Mumbai restored the lead in the 57th minute when Ravipal Singh combined with Sarvanjit Singh to make it 3-1.
However, the Terry Walsh-coached Lancers struck back a minute later through a field goal from Lucas Vila to keep the goal deficit to one.
The win gave Magicians, who played their last home tie, five points and took their tally to 13 points from nine games, while the Lancers pocketed a point to be at the fifth position with 17 points in 10 games.
The Mumbai Magicians will next play Uttar Pradesh Wizards on February 18 in Lucknow, while this was Kalinga Lancers` last match this season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Bihar govt's bizarre order: No cooking, yagna between 9 am and 6 pm to avoid fire
- Inhalation therapy, a key to win big against asthma
- HCL Tech Q3 net profit grows 14.4% to Rs 1,926 crore
- Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS): 10 things you must know!
- India will be 'Congress-free' if BJP keeps nation 'drought-free': Sanjay Raut