Mumbai Magicians open account with 3-2 win in HIL
Mumbai: Mumbai Magicians broke their winless streak by defeating Kalinga Lancers 3-2 in the second edition of the Hero Hockey India League (HHIL) at the Mumbai Hockey Association Stadium here on Sunday.
It was the Magicians` maiden win this season and it came after eight matches and after 12 games in the Hockey India League.
It was the clash between the bottom-placed teams of the league and both were guilty of squandering chances, despite a goal being scored in each quarter.
The hosts took the lead in the 17th minute through a field goal when captain Glenn Turner pushed the ball on the rebound.
The M K Kaushik-coached side surged ahead when Mark Gleghorne, who took the flick, found the right side of the net in the 33 minute to convert the penalty corner with ease.
The debutants however reduced the margin in the 43 minute with a field goal from Mohammed Nizammudin.
Mumbai restored the lead in the 57th minute when Ravipal Singh combined with Sarvanjit Singh to make it 3-1.
However, the Terry Walsh-coached Lancers struck back a minute later through a field goal from Lucas Vila to keep the goal deficit to one.
The win gave Magicians, who played their last home tie, five points and took their tally to 13 points from nine games, while the Lancers pocketed a point to be at the fifth position with 17 points in 10 games.
The Mumbai Magicians will next play Uttar Pradesh Wizards on February 18 in Lucknow, while this was Kalinga Lancers` last match this season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video