Murali Karthikeyan dumps Kuzubov; in joint lead
Abu Dhabi: Young International Master Murlai Karthikeyan made a decisive stride forward towards his GM title defeating Yuriy Kuzubov of Ukraine in the sixth round of Abu Dhabi Masters chess tournament now in progress here.
Playing the tournament of his life, Karthikeyan took his tally to a remarkable five points out of a possible six and his rating performance stands at a whopping 2783 ELO points in the tournament. Ordinarily, just one or two draws should be enough to seal the GM norm for the young lad.
Karthikeyan shares the lead with Sergey Volkov of Russia and the two are slated to clash in the seventh round of this 9-round Swiss system tournament.
With just three rounds to come, Vidit Gujrathi and G N Gopal are the other Indians in with a chance for a podium finish sharing the third spot on 4.5 points with five others.
While Gujrathi and Gopal played out a draw amongst themselves, highest rated Indian in the fray, Abhijeet Gupta was unlucky not to convert an advantageous endgame against Marcea-Emilian Parligras of Romania. Gupta inched himself up to four points following the drawn result and shares the tenth spot now.
Karthikeyan scored his third victory on the trot against Grandmasters displaying some deep tactical sense. Kuzubov did not know what hit him when an apparently harmless-look Bishop manoeuvre started the onslaught out of a Sicilian Dragon defense game.
Playing white, Karthikeyan also temporarily put his queen en prise to win a pawn and then kept improving his position by a knight sortie that won him a rook for a minor piece. The rest was easy and it was all over in 50 moves.
Karthikeyan`s victory in round six came after his triumph against Alexander Areshchenko of Ukraine and Amin Baseem of Egypt in the last two rounds which made it three on three against over 2600 ELO rated opposition.
Among other Indians in the fray, Sahaj Grover went down rather tamely to Andrei Istratescu of France out of a Ruy Lopez game where the latter played white. Also ending on the losing side was Surya Shekhar Ganguly bowing to Barnaure Vlad-Victor of Romania.
Vaibhav Suri and GM MR Lalith Babu improved their tournament situation with victories over Tamas Meszaros of Hungary and Atousa Pourkashiyan of Iran respectively. Both Suri and Babu are now on four points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark