My achievements went unnoticed and it hurts: Sardara Singh
New Delhi: He has been chosen in FIH`s world XI for the second consecutive year but star hockey player Sardara Singh is furious that his state government did not even acknowledged the feat.
Sardara is lone Asian player in International Hockey Federation`s world eleven this year.
He was the only Indian in the FIH team, selected on the basis of performance in 2010 also.
"It is a big achievement but I am sad that no one from Haryana Government has congratulated me, forget about giving any prize. I am hurt that my achievements went unnoticed. Look at the cricketers, everyone goes gaga over their each and every achievement and hefty prizes are announced," said the midfielder.
He also feels that encouragement is must to give best performance which is lacking in his case.
"Haryana government has taken many steps to promote sports in the state and I am surprised that when their own player is earning accolades at top level and they don`t even care to notice it. I have won many player-of-the-tournament awards in last two years but who cares?" he rued. Sardara, DSP in Haryana police, also felt bad that he was not considered for the Bhim award by the state government. He is yet to get the Arjuna award.
"I had joined Haryana police in 2008 as DSP and am getting the monthly salary only. No promotions or no performance based incentive. That is the difference between Hockey and Cricket but I have no regrets. Hockey is my passion and I always want to be a part of winning team," he said.
Busy in preparing for Olympic qualifiers to be held in New Delhi from Feb 18 to 26, Sardara wants to give his best.
"I am cent percent confident that we will not only qualify for London Olympic but will also win every match with handsome margin."
The plight of Indian Hockey players was in limelight last year also when they were offered Rs 25000 as prize money after winning the inaugural Asian Champions Trophy and the players had rejected it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- JKLF chief Yasin Malik detained in Srinagar ahead of Thursday's shutdown
- IPL 2016: Revealed – This is Sunrisers Hyderabad's Mustafizur Rahman’s biggest fear!
- Centre renames disability department; 'viklang' to be called as 'divyang'
- Sensex soars 576 points to log biggest one-day rally in nearly 3 months
- Have you seen Deepika Padukone's cute video DP yet? Watch now