My aim is 2600 ELO rating: world jr bronze winner Gujrathi
Mumbai: Former Under-14 world champion Vidit Gujrathi, who won the bronze medal in the World Junior Chess Championship in Turkey on Thursday, is aiming to attain the 2600 ELO rating by the end of this year.
"My present rating is 2582 and my goal for the year is to reach a rating of 2600. The ultimate aim is to cross 2700" the Nashik-based Grandmaster told PTI after returning home.
Gujrathi will now be participating two rating tournaments in Chennai and Hyderabad in November, and the National Premier to be held in Maharashtra from December 16-30.
The 18-year old said he had taken a break from his studies last year to prepare for the World Junior Championship which was held at the Turkish city of Kocaeli.
"I was preparing for this event since one year and I wanted this medal for a long time and finally it happened. I am feeling very happy."
Gujrathi has joined the list of elite Indians winning medals in the world junior championships - starting with a gold medal won by reigning world champion Viswanathan Anand in 1987, gold by Hari Krishna in 2004, gold by Abhijeet Gupta in 2008 and bronze by Sahaj Grover in 2011.
Gujrathi, who won the U-14 World Championship in 2008, termed defending champion and the eventual silver medallist of the tournament Alexander Ipatov (Turkey) as his toughest opponent.
"The defending champion was very strong and was playing very well in the tournament. I think he was the toughest opponent for me.
"I had played him before, but this time he was playing very well and he outplayed me. He was my toughest opponent in this tournament," the Indian youngster said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore