My counter play did not work, says Viswanathan Anand
Chennai: Defending champion Viswanathan Anand today conceded that his counter play did not work well in the fifth game of World Chess Championship match that the Indian lost after a long and typical grind against challenger Magnus Carlsen here.
"Somehow my counter play did not materialise. There are many continuations, Rd4 was the decisive mistake," said Anand, who played with black pieces today, in the post-game conference at the Hyatt here.
22-year-old Calrsen, who drew the first blood after a tentative start to his campaign, said he was quite happy to have gone one up with seven games to go.
"It was a relatively interesting opening. I have some strategic advantage, like the better Bishop and a better pawn structure, it`s not huge," said Carlsen who took a 3-2 lead in the 12-game match.
"It was kind of messy but I am happy. But winning one game does not mean I have won the match. It means I have to work harder," the Norwegian world number one said.
Anand, who will have white in the sixth game tomorrow, appeared only a little nervous in the press conference that`s mandatory to attend for both players. There was the usual calm on his face that showed determination.
"Anand makes some small minor mistake and it accumulates in to a win for Magnus," said former women world champion Susan Polgar who is a part of the commentary team here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now