My life is under threat, says Yuri
New Delhi: Sacked coach Yuri Ogrodnik is planning to flee the country as early as possible, media reported on Wednesday. The Ukrainian said he wants to go back home as he is facing a lot of problems in India.
Talking to a news channel, the Ukrainian defended himself, saying he has no role in the current doping fiasco and blamed the Indian food supplements for the same.
He said that he didn’t give the athletes any drugs but only food supplements. He said that it was possible the Indian food supplements were contaminated.
"I told the athletes to buy only the food supplements and not steroids. I am not suited for that (to tell athletes to do a wrong thing). I am a professional coach,” said Yuri, who has been in charge of the women`s 400m, 400m Hurdles and 4x400m relay since 1999.
Earlier, a former athlete claimed on a news channel that doping is rampant in sporting fraternity and said that the federation is aware of doping among athletes.
Foreign coaches bring supplements from outside the country, the former athlete, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the channel. Coaches and athletes have easy access to drugs, he added.
Meanwhile, Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal said criminal cases will be filed against the chemists selling steroids in Patiala. Earlier, it was reported in the media about chemists selling steroids openly in Patiala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Swiss fighter jet missing, believed crashed: Ministry
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir