Names missing from official list, boxers panic in World C`ship
New Delhi: Panic struck the Indian camp at the World Boxing Championships in Baku, Azerbaijan just hours ahead of the official weigh-in and draw on Sunday after two of its team members found their names missing from the list of registered entries but the confusion was sorted out just in time.
Asian Games silver medallist Manpreet Singh (91kg) and Commonwealth Games gold-medallist Paramjeet Samota (+91kg) checked in for the official weigh-in of the mega event today but were told that their names were not there in the registered list.
The stunned boxers and national coach Gurbax Singh Sandhu expectedly panicked as the draw was just hours away. A harried Sandhu called up Indian Boxing Federation Secretary General, Brig P K Muralidharan Raja, who is also the team manager but is yet to land in Baku as he is still awaiting departmental clearance to proceed.
Raja immediately forwarded the requisite documents proving Manpreet and Samota`s name in the registered list of entries to the organisers who relented just in time before the weigh-in started.
"It was a confusing situation which created a lot of panic in the team. Just hours before the weigh-in and draw, they found their names missing which was shocking. These entry lists are prepared well in advance and India had sent their names in time," said Raja.
"What if I had not been able to furnish the required documents in time? These boys wouldn`t have been allowed in the weigh-in which would have been a disaster for them after all the hard work they have put in. These kind of distractions affect the team," Raja added.
Raja is expected to leave only tomorrow when the Championship gets underway where India has sent a full 10-member team spearheaded by Olympic bronze medallist Vijender Singh (75kg).
Vijender had bagged a bronze at the previous World Championships in Milan which was a first for Indian boxing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections