Nanao, Dilbag continue winning spree in Russia
New Delhi: Indian boxers Thokhom Nanao Singh (49kg) and Dilbagh Singh (69kg) continued their winning spree at the Khabarovsk International competition in Khabarovsk, Russia, as they advanced to the title round today.
Both the boxers are now assured of at least a silver medal.
Nanao, the reigning national champion, defeated Li Chung Hyok of DPR Korea 17-12, while national champion Dilbagh Singh defeated his Polish opponent, Uk V 15-9.
The 22-year-old Nanao once again made an aggressive start and made full use of the canvas. His hard-hitting blows and hooks caught Li off guard and allowed the Indian to stretch the advantage.
In the final he is slated to take on local lad Sagaluev Bator.
Multiple national champion Dilbagh beat Uk V in a brilliant display of skill and strategy. His lightening fast jabs turned the fight into a one-sided affair. In the bid for the gold medal, he will square off against Kozhabekov Bakytzhan of Kazakhstan.
The other Indian boxers in the fray, Sunil Kumar (52kg), Shiva Thapa (56kg) and Satish Kumar (+91kg), however, suffered defeats but not before putting up a fight in their respective semi-final bouts.
The three will have to be content with the bronze medal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand