Nanao, Dilbag enter medal rounds of Russian boxing tourney
New Delhi: Thokchom Nanao Singh(49kg) and Dilbag Singh (69kg) gave a flying start to India`s campaign by entering the semifinals to assure themselves of medals at the Khabarovsk International Boxing Tournament in Khabarovsk, Russia.
Reigning national champion and National Games gold-medallist Nanao was in fine form as he devoured Ladon Rogen of the Philippines in what turned out to be a one-sided contest.
The 22-year-old, with his combination punches and excellent ring movement, made it if very difficult for the Philippines boxer to settle down and find his rhythm.
The Indian went on to make a place in the semi-finals with a 12-8 win. In the round of four, he will take on Ri Chung Hyok of DPR Korea.
Later, multiple-time national champion and 2010 Commonwealth Games bronze-medallist Dilbag Singh (69kg) delivered a superlative performance against Szilvai Laszlo of Hungary.
He emerged victorious with a score of 17-6, relying mostly on his straight punches and counter-attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what