Nanao, Dilbag enter medal rounds of Russian boxing tourney
New Delhi: Thokchom Nanao Singh(49kg) and Dilbag Singh (69kg) gave a flying start to India`s campaign by entering the semifinals to assure themselves of medals at the Khabarovsk International Boxing Tournament in Khabarovsk, Russia.
Reigning national champion and National Games gold-medallist Nanao was in fine form as he devoured Ladon Rogen of the Philippines in what turned out to be a one-sided contest.
The 22-year-old, with his combination punches and excellent ring movement, made it if very difficult for the Philippines boxer to settle down and find his rhythm.
The Indian went on to make a place in the semi-finals with a 12-8 win. In the round of four, he will take on Ri Chung Hyok of DPR Korea.
Later, multiple-time national champion and 2010 Commonwealth Games bronze-medallist Dilbag Singh (69kg) delivered a superlative performance against Szilvai Laszlo of Hungary.
He emerged victorious with a score of 17-6, relying mostly on his straight punches and counter-attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed