Nanao, Dilbag enter medal rounds of Russian boxing tourney
New Delhi: Thokchom Nanao Singh(49kg) and Dilbag Singh (69kg) gave a flying start to India`s campaign by entering the semifinals to assure themselves of medals at the Khabarovsk International Boxing Tournament in Khabarovsk, Russia.
Reigning national champion and National Games gold-medallist Nanao was in fine form as he devoured Ladon Rogen of the Philippines in what turned out to be a one-sided contest.
The 22-year-old, with his combination punches and excellent ring movement, made it if very difficult for the Philippines boxer to settle down and find his rhythm.
The Indian went on to make a place in the semi-finals with a 12-8 win. In the round of four, he will take on Ri Chung Hyok of DPR Korea.
Later, multiple-time national champion and 2010 Commonwealth Games bronze-medallist Dilbag Singh (69kg) delivered a superlative performance against Szilvai Laszlo of Hungary.
He emerged victorious with a score of 17-6, relying mostly on his straight punches and counter-attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- US, UN condemn Syria hospital bombing in war-ravaged Aleppo
- F-16 to boost precision strike capability in anti-terror operations: Pakistan
- UN Security Council readies North Korea missile test reply
- US Vice President Joe Biden on surprise visit to Iraq
- Panama papers scandal: Russia to join global fight against tax evasion