National sailing championship begins
Hyderabad: Promising exciting action on sails, the Laser National Sailing Championship 2013 got underway at the picturesque Hussain Sagar lake on Wednesday.
Andhra Pradesh Tourism and Sports Minister Vatti Vasant Kumar inaugurated the championship which will be held till July 28.
About 120 sailors from all over the country are expected to participate in the event, being conducted by the Laser Class Association of India (LCAI).
The competition will be held Laser, 4.7, Standard and Radial categories.
Lt General S M Mehta, Commandant, Military College of Electronics and Mechanical Engineering (MCEME) and Col Commandant Corps of EME Sailing Association said Hussain Sagar lake provided a conducive atmosphere for sailing.
He also mentioned that India has the potential to achieve many medals in sailing in prestigious championships like Olympics.
Brig. Rajaram, Rear Commodore of EME Sailing Association said that the objective behind organising such an event is to promote the eco-friendly sport, adding that top sailors from all over the country are participating in the event.
"Laser class is Olympic class and is gaining popularity amongst sportsmen and spectators," he said.
According to the organisers of the event, there have been queries from Asia Pacific countries as well for participation in the event.
Captain Soli Contractor, the government observer for the event, said that more women are also coming forward to participate.
Among the 120 entries, 31 will participate in Standard category, 60 in Radial and 29 in 4.7, the organisers added.
The Laser Class Association of India (LCAI) is conducting these championship since 1986 (including hosting Asia Pacific Laser International Championship in May 2001 at Hyderabad), they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon