National shooter Tara Shahdeo's husband arrested
Ranjit Kumar Kohli, husband of national level shooter Tara Shahdeo was arrested on Tuesday from Delhi for allegedly assaulting her because of her refusal to convert to Islam.
New Delhi: Ranjit Kumar Kohli, husband of national level shooter Tara Shahdeo was arrested on Tuesday from Delhi for allegedly assaulting her because of her refusal to convert to Islam.
Kohli had kept Tara under confinement for one month, torturing and forcing her to convert to Islam. He even changed her name to Sara, to which she protested.
Ranjit Kumar Kohli`s actual name is Rakibul Hasan, and Tara got to know of this shocking revelation only after her marriage. Tara had accused her husband of beating her up and starving her of food. There are serious marks on her body of physical assault.
After suffering for a month, Tara had decided to report the matter to State National Commission for Women’s chief, Mahua Manjhi and BJP leader Ajay Nath Shahdev. Tara alleged that Rakibul did not disclose he was a Muslim and instead faked his identity as a Hindu.
Tara met Rakibul on shooting ranges where he was accompanied by three men who came to see her practice every day. The couple got married on July 7, 2014 under Hindu rituals. A grand marriage ceremony took place and several big industrialists and politicians were set to have attended the event.
According to Tara, on the first night of their marriage Hasan called 20-25 Hajis and forced her to convert to Islam. After her constant refusal, she was beaten up. Also, Tara had accused Hasan of forcing himself on her as she was against the consummation of the wedding after the revelation of Hasan`s true identity.
Finally, she mustered enough courage to request the maid to arrange a phone-call to her brother. Afterwards, she and her brother reported the matter to the local police.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Gold price falls by Rs 200 to 1-week low of Rs 31,050 per ten grams
- Dia Mirza 'dissatisfied' with scripts being offered to her
- Earthquake hits Haryana's Mahendragarh; tremors felt in Delhi, NCR
- Microsoft's OneNote tool now available for Mac
- Olympics 2016: Goodbye Rio, over to Tokyo now for 2020 Games