National weightlifting championship begins
Itanagar: The National weightlifting championship was inaugurated on Tuesday at Nirjuli near here by Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki.
The seventh National Youth (Boys and Girls) and 48th Men and 24th Women Junior Championship started at a glittering function at Niyakum Niya Hall here after the march past by representatives of 25 participating states.
Thanking Indian Weightlifting Federation (IWF) for holding the mega-event in the state, Tuki said, "It would herald a new era for sports sector in the state despite inadequate infrastructure."
"Weightlifters of Arunchal Pradesh have proved their mettle at global events," IWF president B P Baishya said and hoped weightlifter from the state would represent India in 2016 Olympics.
AWA vice president L Sukun Singh later said 52 participants from Punjab (14), Madhya Pradesh (14), Haryana and Tamil Nadu (12) each are expected late tonight, which would take the number to 289.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest