Naveen, Sandeep enter semis at Jr World Boxing
Astana (Kazakhstan): Pugilists Naveen Kumar and Sandeep Kumar have entered advanced to the semi-final stage of the second AIBA Junior World Boxing Championships in Astana, Kazakhstan.
Naveen, who fought in the 50 kg category and Sandeep who won his 58 kg quarterfinal bout have now assured themselves a bronze each.
According to a press release, Naveen beat Muradov Malik of Azerbaijan 18-9 in the round of eight. The 14-year-old who won gold medal at the President Heydar Aliyev Cup in Azerbaijan opened cautiously, as did his opponent.
The scores were tied at 3-3 all after the opening round but in the second, Naveen went all out with a flurry of punches to which his opponent had no answer.
Naveen will now take on Russia`s Dzabrail Vizirkhanov in the semi-final.
In contrast to Naveen fight, Sandeep`s bout turned out to be a closely fought battle. Up against Huascar Ramirez of the Dominican Republic, Sandeep was down by two points after the opening round.
He cut down the lead to a point in the second. In the third though, the 15-year-old made a stunning recovery with the help of some body blows and upper-cuts. He finally pipped his opponent 9-8 and will now meet Aliyor Noraliev of Uzbekistan.
But there was disappointment for India as Lalitha Prasad Polipalli (48kg) and Manish Kaushik (52kg) lost their quarter-final bouts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- After 22 months, NASA regains contact with sun-watching STEREO-B spacecraft!
- Parents, beware: Your lack of involvement might be making your child obese!
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley to inaugurate BRICS meet on arbitration
- Raveena Tandon 'honoured' to receive award from Dharmendra
- Earthquake in Delhi is trending – Here's why