Navjeet Kaur Dhillon clinches bronze at IAAF World Junior Championships
New Delhi: Discus thrower Navjeet Kaur Dhillon became only the second Indian to grab a medal at the IAAF World Junior Championships after setting a new personal best to clinch a bronze in Eugene, USA.
The 19-year-old covered an impressive 56.36m with her throw at the Hayward Field last night in the World Junior Championships.
Her previous best was 53.97m which she recorded while winning the Junior Federation Cup at Chennai this May, a release stated.
Brazil`s Izabela da Silva set a world junior leading mark of 58.03m for the gold while American Valarie Allman (56.75m) entertained the home crowd with a silver medal.
It was the second ever bronze medal for India in the world juniors after Seema Antil`s 2002 effort in Kingston, Jamaica.
Incidentally Seema won a gold medal in 2000 at Santiago de Chile, but was disqualified thereafter due to doping violations.
Navjeet`s first major success came in Commonwealth Youth Games at Douglas (Isle of Man) in 2011 when she won a bronze medal with a throw of 45.27m.
Last year she had taken part in the senior category in Asian Grand Prix and was placed seventh in the Asian Championships at Pune.
In the Junior Federation Cup this year, Navjeet set a new national junior record in shot put (15.89m) besides winning a "double" through a victory in discus throw with a noteworthy 53.97m.
She went on to win a bronze in shot put (14.99m) as well as a silver in discus throw (53.66m) in the Asian junior championships at Taipei thereafter.
Navjeet is also the reigning Inter-University champion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says