Need new testing methods: Thomas Bach
Johannesburg: The need for new and innovative thinking around testing should become a priority to strengthen the fight against doping in sport, the new International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach said on Wednesday as he compared drug cheating to terrorism.
"We need even more specifically targeted tests and more scientific research. We have to focus on more anti-doping research," he said on the opening day of the World Conference on Doping in Sport.
"Is it not time to find out for example whether blood and urine tests are really the best and ultimate solution? Might there be other testing methods that are even more reliable, sustainable and effective and maybe even less intrusive?"
Bach said concerns over costs should not stop more investment in anti-doping measures as it was like dealing with terrorism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement