Need to put in place an alternative mechanism, says Sports Minister
New Delhi: Sports Minister Jitendra Singh on Friday slammed the diversionary tactics of Indian Olympic Association and said an alternative mechanism needs to be put in place to enable Indian athletes to compete under the national flag in the wake of IOA`s reluctance to adhere to IOC`s guidelines.
The Sports Minister asked suspended IOA president Abhey Singh Chautala to "clean his house" first before training guns at others.
Taking a jibe at the Olympic gold medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra`s father, A S Bindra, who was arrested in 2009 for alleged financial irregularities, Chautala said "If Bindra feels that chargesheeted people should be stripped of their positions then he should throw his father out of his house or leave his house himself".
"Chautala is trying to divert the attention. This is not the time to divert the attention. He should clean his house and bring in good governance and ethics," Jitendra said.
"What I forsee is that the IOC is not going to recognise the IOA. That`s why we have requested for an alternative mechanism to be put in place where in Indian sportspersons are allowed to compete in international events under the Indian flag.
"I have also requested the IOC that if the impasse doesn`t end we should have an alternative mechanism. We need to have a plan B in place," he added.
Jitendra`s recent statement came after International Olympic Committee has asked the IOA to sack "charge-framed" officials through constitutional amendments by October 31 and conduct fresh elections by December 15 to return to the Olympic fold.
The Indian Sports Minister agreed with IOC`s view and asked the IOA to abide by the world body`s diktat keeping in mind the interest of the athletes.
"It is very important at this moment that the IOA realises the interest of sportspersons. We have also recommended the IOC to keep chargesheeted persons and criminals out of sports federations," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter