Negi`s defeat allows Korobov to emerge as sole leader
New Delhi: India`s Parimarjan Negi lost to Anton Korobov of Ukraine while Krishnan Sasikiran and Abhijeet Gupta signed peace with their respective opponents in the ninth and penultimate round of AICF-AAI Chess Cup, here on Saturday.
Grandmaster Krishnan Sasikiran could not pose any problems to Radoslav Wojtaszek of Poland and the game was drawn without much ado while the former world junior champion Abhijeet was unfortunate not to score a full point against Evgeny Alekseev of Russia.
With just one round to come, Korobov emerged as the sole leader on 5.5 points and Alekseev remained on his toes a half point behind. Sasikiran and Wojtaszek share the third spot on 4.5 points apiece while Abhijeet inched himself up to four points, a half point more than Negi.
For the first time in this tournament, Korobov came up with an early opening surprise going for the King pawn advance on move one. Negi went for his pet Sicilian Najdorf but the Ukrainian had prepared some dangerous lines.
To his credit, Negi came out of the opening unscathed and was able to manage things with a timely pawn sacrifice breaking the center open. However the Indian went wrong in wild complexities with the clock ticking away and Korobov grabbed the full point after gaining three pieces for his queen.
Abhijeet was unlucky not to get a full point against Evgeny Alekseev out of a Catalan opening. With precise play Gupta exerted pressure and Alekseev found himself in a very difficult knight and pawns endgame after the first time control.
However, just after attaining the winning position Gupta miscalculated and gave enough chances to Alekseev who fought back. The game lasted over six hours and was fought till all the pieces got traded.
Wojtaszek played a topical variation in the Catalan opening by Sasikiran and equalized without much problem. The pieces got traded in a heap in this game and the players arrived at an opposite coloured Bishop endgame which was just a draw. The peace was signed in 41 moves.
Results round 9: Krishnan Sasikiran (Ind, 4.5) drew with Radoslav Wojtaszek (Pol, 4.5); Anton Korobov (Ukr, 5.5) beat Parimarjan Negi (Ind, 3.5); Abhijeet Gupta (Ind, 4) drew with Evgeny Alekseev (Rus, 5).
Pairings final round: Alekseev v/s Sasikiran; Negi v/s Gupta; Wojtaszek v/s Korobov.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?