Negi wins, Sydney Lewis stuns Rathnakaran in Parsvnath Open
New Delhi: On a day when as many as five Grandmasters were busy signing peace treaties with their lesser-known opponents, local hero Parimarjan Negi continued his good form defeating S Ravi Teja in the fourth round of the Parsvnath International Open Chess Tournament here on Monday.
Negi continued to make merry at the expense of Teja, while former World Junior Champion Abhijeet Gupta overcame Women International Master Bagyashree Thipsasy at the Ludlow Castle Sports Complex.
Top seed Grandmaster Alexander Areshchenko of Ukraine and fifth seed Grandmaster Lenic Luka of Slovenia also sailed smoothly to the fifth round with perfect scores after defeating Sidhant Mohapartra and S Kuashik here.
However, seventh seed Russian Grandmaster Konstantin Chernyshov had to settle for half point against R Premnath while Grandmaster Hannes Stefansson of Iceland and Kravtsiv Martyn of Ukraine signed the peace treaty with Naveen Jain and Sohan Phadke respectively.
City based Grandmaster Sriram Jha was also forced to split the point against Indian Air Force youngster K Srikanth after a marathon match that lasted 105 moves.
Another Indian Grandmaster in the fray, R R Laxman found Punjab`s Shival Jethi`s defence impregnable and signed the peace treaty after 46 moves.
The only upset of the day was Calicut-based International Master K Rathnakaran`s shock defeat at the hands of Sydney Lewis, who is rated 532 elo points below him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what