Negi wins Washington chess title
New Delhi: India`s young Grand Master Parimarjan Negi has won the Continental Chess Association Open title in Washington.
Negi, who was the top seed, came through a stiff competition in which six Grand Masters took part. The Delhi youngster remained unbeaten, finishing with 7.5 points in the nine rounds of tournament here Monday, according to information received here.
Negi won six rounds and drew the remaining three to leave International Master Bindi Cheng of Canada second-placed. Cheng finished on seven points, winning six rounds, losing one and drawing the remaining two.
American Grand Master Konrad Holt from Kansas was third with 6.5 points, winning six rounds, drawing two and losing the other one.
Negi will next play the World Open 2013, starting Wednesday at the same venue. He was the joint winner of the tournament in 2008 when it was played in Philedelphia, US.
Negi has had a good season so far, having won the Spring open International chess tournament in Dallas, Texas, in March and he was Joint winner at the Cappelle de Grande in France, where nearly 85 Grand Masters participated in February.
Negi`s next port of call will be Norway in August august in Norway,having qualified as Asian champion. Prior to that he will be going to Denmark to play in the Politiken Cup in Denmark later this month
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Turmeric compound may treat colon cancer
- Flash floods, landslides leave 112 dead in China, thousands evacuated: State media
- Shocking: Man steals car battery in broad daylight! Watch viral video
- Twitter will not Periscope its quarterly earnings results
- Arjun Rampal's mother fights cancer, actor prays for her good health