Nehwal, Narang, Mary Kom Olympics medal hopes, says Anand
Mumbai: Pinning hopes on the likes of Saina
Nehwal, Gagan Narang and Mary Kom to win medals at the 2012
London Olympics, world chess champion Vishwanathan Anand has
said India will have to start planning for the 2016 edition of
the quadrennial event from now to get good results.
"Right now the likes of Saina, Gagan and Mary are some of
our big hopes. Then we also have some younger promising
players," the chess ace told reporters when asked about India`s
medal hopefuls at the mega sporting event.
"Clearly, our target is two. It’s better than one but we
should be able to get more. It think you need some time to
build it up. At this moment we not only have to plan for 2012,
but 2016 as well for good results," he said.
Anand will be mentoring and training potential athletes
for Olympics and is going to be active on the `Power your
champion` initiative of the Olympic Gold Quest (OGQ), the NGO
floated by legends Prakash Padukone and Geet Sethi.
The 41-year-old said the OGC`s objective was to ensure
that the country did not lose out any medals just because the
talented athletes lack access to facilities or equipment.
"I think as athletes what we would have liked is some
organisation to take the practical details out of the way.
Its not a sportsman`s job to look for sponsorships, worry
about equipment, visa, tickets. That`s not what he should be
doing. We at OGQ try to sort out these issues and get him the
best medical facility, the best physio trainer and so on.”
"Ultimately it comes to the athlete. We cannot perform
for them. But we want to make sure that if they are very
talented we shouldn`t lose the medal because they don`t have
the right equipment or medical facilities," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch